Thursday, February 21, 2013

English 11

Tonight, review the terms on the yellow short story sheets (Purpose and the Short Story, Character and the Short Story, and Plot and the Short Story).  Also make sure you know allusion, parable, and epiphany.  We will have a short quiz on these terms.

Also, please complete the sheet on commas.  If you were not in class today, here are the comma questions:


COMMAS - PART THREE: REVIEW
Part A:

Are the following three sentences correct or incorrect?  If any are incorrect, please make the necessary amendments:

1. The free swimming lessons, were held at the William Griffin Aquatic Centre.


2. The camp brochure says that kids in the program can canoe on the lake or go sailing\
at a nearby beach or try horseback riding in the adjacent fields.


3. Listen I need that report by Friday.


4. Graham lifted the couch, Stuart grabbed the hamster, and the cat dashed between my
legs, just to get at the fluffy little rodent!


5. Capilano University which used to be a college has a very good reputation for its
talented instructors and small class sizes.


6. You realize, of course, that the tension between you and your parents will only lead to
trouble.


7. I do not like driving in the snow nor do I enjoy walking in the rain.


8. “To err is human,” my mother would say “but to forgive is devine.”


9. When the cat’s away, the mice will play!


10. I will clean the house for you, because you are always so good to me.


Part B:

Please put commas in the following two sentences where needed. .

1. I know you wanted fish for dinner but the price of chicken was too good to pass up.

2. I will however get some salmon for your dinner tomorrow.