Thursday, October 30, 2014

English 8

Write a journal entry about your Hallowe'en night.  It does not have to be true, but you must include some sensory details.  Tell me what you see, hear, touch, taste, and smell as part of your descriptions.

Here is a description of a hot summer's day that uses sensory descriptions:

The smell of burning rubber, car smoke, and overused clutches bit the back of my nose as the sun beat down on us that summer's day in the city.  Sticky sweat ran in little rivulets down my neck and collected bits of the airborne grit that clouded around us. The heat was affecting others too, for the air rang with the honking of horns and shouts of frustrated drivers.  Suddenly, my sister grabbed my hand and yanked me into a shady side street.  There I saw the most beautiful sight one could imagine:  two children standing in front of a homemade lemonade stand!  Our coins clinked musically as we tossed them into the glass payment jar. Soon the cold, sweet-tart liquid was sliding down our parched throats.  Did it really matter that each glass had cost four dollars?  It was highway robbery, and those children were sharks--but we felt renewed!