Tuesday, April 14, 2020

English 10

Hello everyone, 
If you go into your student notebooks, you'll see that I have made comments on your work so far.  
For Thursday, I would like you to do the following:
  1. Tell me what you have found surprising about the book so far.  Please do this in 5-10 sentences.
  2. Tell me why you think the book has been written using emoticons and unconventional punctuation (such as strange capitals, italics, and bolded words). 
  3. Christopher is both a highly intelligent person (he is a whiz at math and physics) but also rather oblivious about people, and it is apparent that he has the qualities of a high-functioning person on the Autism spectrum.  Some could say that he has Asperger's Syndrome, although this is never explicitly stated in the novel.  I would like you to watch the following 22 minute video and write a personal response (at least a paragraph) about what the interview subjects say.
 The video is an episode from the CBC series You Can't Ask That where people living with various challenges are asked anonymous questions about what their lives are like.  This episode is about high-functioning people with Autism and you can find it here: https://gem.cbc.ca/media/you-cant-ask-that/season-1/episode-4/38e815a-010f385fad1
I will give you another assignment on Thursday.
Finally, I would also like to arrange a class meeting to discuss the book on Monday at 11 am. This time could change if too many students have a conflict with it; please let me know.

I have not assigned any more reading so that people who need to catch up to the rest of the class may do so. Please read to the end of Chapter 67.